Description: The following error messages may display when macOS devices fail to connect to the VPN:
TUN Error: ovpnagent: communication error
Transport Error: socket_protect error
The below guide provides possible resolutions for the issues leading to these error messages. Use them to help troubleshoot and resolve your issue.
- Ensure you have the latest OpenVPN Connect v3 app. Refer to OpenVPN Connect v3 for macOS for the newest version. Update, if necessary, and try to connect once again.
- Antivirus or cleaning utility apps may block or tamper with the openvpnagent. Try disabling them altogether.
- Try manually loading the agent via the macOS terminal by running this command:
sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.openvpn.client.plist
- Uninstall the client; delete related files; reinstall the latest OpenVPN Connect v3 app; and attempt to connect again.
- Ensure OpenVPN Connect can run in the background:
- Click the Apple icon in the menu bar and click System Settings.
- Click General and Login Items.
- Under Allow in the Background set the toggle to on for OpenVPN Client.
Please submit a ticket if you have additional questions or still encounter issues.